FOREST, Ont.—An agent from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, known only as "Rocky from Windsor," told the OPP that Stoney Point Indians had weapons weeks before native activist Anthony (Dudley) George was killed in a massive police operation, the inquiry into George's death has heard.

Retired Ontario Provincial Police inspector Wade Lacroix told the public inquiry into George's death that the man known as Rocky paid him a visit in the summer of 1995 to tell him that Stoney Point Indians who lived in the Canadian Forces base at Camp Ipperwash on Lake Huron near Sarnia had weapons.

The mysterious "Rocky from Windsor" didn't expand on the source of his intelligence, or the type of weapons he was reporting. He didn't further identify himself, Lacroix said.

Lacroix said he told his superior officer, then-inspector John Carson: "I had a strange visit by CSIS and this is what he had to say."

Former OPP commissioner Thomas O'Grady earlier told the inquiry, before Justice Sidney Linden, that he is content that none of the Stoney Point residents had weapons on them during the confrontation, in which seven officers opened fire and George was killed.

It was the second alleged CSIS agent mentioned in the inquiry, which began hearing witnesses in July 2004, and which is scheduled to hear its last witness in late June.

In February, Anthony Parkin, a retired former OPP superintendent, testified that a man named Jim Moses acted as a police informant, spying on the actions of the Indians.

Moses said in a press conference in June 1999 in St. Catharines that he worked for both CSIS and the OPP, spying on Stoney Point residents.

In his 1999 press conference, Moses said he couldn't find any evidence that Stoney Point residents had weapons, although he said the natives claimed they had guns and he saw ammunition for a shotgun.

Moses, of the Six Nations reserve near Brantford, told his 1999 press conference that he was paid only $400 to $800 a month for his 2 1/2 years of work for CSIS and often had to push the agency to pay bills he incurred working for them.

He said the OPP paid him a total of less than $2,000 in total.

Lacroix testified yesterday that he wasn't expecting trouble on Sept. 6, 1995, until he was called at his home around 8 p.m. that night and told to report to head the crowd management unit to clear people from a parking lot outside the park.

Lacroix told the inquiry he was not briefed that Stoney Point residents had guns or firebombs in the park, and said he wouldn't have led the crowd management unit toward the park if he was told this.

"That would have been completely outside of our mandate," Lacroix said.

Lacroix described a wild scene that night, in which his riot shield was shattered in a brawl. Lacroix testified that he fired four rounds from his service revolver at a car and a bus that were driven out from the park, forcing officers to scramble for safety.

He said he heard someone shout out, "Man in the road with rifle," but did not expand.

Lacroix said he saw what appeared to be a muzzle flash from a gun directed toward him during the wild altercation in a sandy parking lot outside the park on Lake Huron.

When the fighting and shooting stopped, Lacroix said he asked tactical officers to check ditches for fallen officers, and was surprised when all officers were accounted for.

"I was afraid that we'd have a casualty in the ditch," Lacroix said.

Stoney Point Indians occupied Ipperwash Provincial Park on Sept. 4, 199 5, saying it contained sacred burial grounds. Their claims were later supported by documents released by the federal government.

They moved onto former Canadian Military Camp Ipperwash in April 1993. The land had been taken from them in 1942 during World War II for a military base, with the promise that it would be returned. Provincial Court Judge Hugh Fraser ruled in April 1997 that George was unarmed when he was shot to death by acting sergeant Kenneth Deane of the paramilitary Tactics and Rescue Unit.

The inquiry continues.