News StoriesSports StoriesToday StoriesBusiness StoryOpinion StoriesWeekly SectionsClassifiedsContact Us
    LFP Home  | Special Reports  | Photo Gallery  | Federal Election  | D-Day Feature  | Pope John Paul II

Subscribe to the London Free Press

Boards to add 100 teachers

Thousands expected for parade

Porn search turns up local photos

Record TV audience views Knights' win


Canadian new Miss Universe

Homolka to appear in court

Canadian officials seize Portuguese trawler

Red Cross offers guilty plea, apology

Chirac seeks to salvage his legacy after defeat on European charter

Graham denies knowing of Arar torture

NDP, Tories square off over budget's passage

Chretien withdraws bid to have Gomery ousted

Beirut election win sees Hariri follow father's footsteps

U.S. troops mistakenly detain top Sunni leader

Slain soldiers' words bring tears, applause

Prisoner testimonies allege abuse and forced confessions

London 150 ~years~

Morgentaler supporters plan rally to celebrate

Police tape of shooting stirs emotion

School report downplayed

Police shoot dog after mom bitten

Pesticide bylaw stalled again

Comic books instructs intellectually disabled about rights for disabled Headline headline

Committee opts for tougher plan

Hit-and-run driver given 90-day term, two-year ban

Deadline looms to reach teacher deal

Cost big reason Shriners selected London

Bush reduced Americans to 'terrorist' level, prof says

Pupils invited to wear black at UWO

London Free Press Business Section:


Graham denies knowing of Arar torture

JIM BROWN, CP   2005-05-31 02:11:44  

OTTAWA -- Canada would have intensified efforts to free Maher Arar if the government knew he was being tortured, former foreign minister Bill Graham said yesterday.

"It certainly would have raised alarm bells and pushed the urgency element of what we were trying to do," Graham told a public inquiry.

"That knowledge certainly would have energized us."

But he quickly added it might not have made any difference in the end, since Arar's fate ultimately rested with his jailers in Damascus.

Senior Bush administration officials also told Graham they had valid reasons for deporting Arar to Syria.

Arar was held for more than a year on suspicion of terrorist activity before Syria finally freed him in the fall of 2003.

Alarm bells were beginning to go off at the Foreign Affairs Department under Graham. Gar Pardy, then chief of consular services, has testified that diplomatic reports early in Arar's captivity aroused suspicion.

But Graham said he had no recollection of that information making its way up the chain of command to him.

He said he knew Arar was imprisoned in less than ideal conditions and was "not being treated the way we would treat people" in Canada.

But Graham said the bottom line of his briefings was there was no actual torture.

He acknowledged he may have misunderstood his officials on at least one occasion.

In August 2003, he said Arar had "personally totally rejected all allegations of torture" during a meeting with Canadian consular officials.

Graham claimed the diplomats had "independently interviewed" Arar.

Inquiry evidence has shown the meeting took place in the office of Gen. Hassan Khalil, the head of Syrian military intelligence, where Arar was hardly able to speak freely.

Graham, who has since moved to the defence portfolio in Prime Minister Paul Martin's government, also testified that:

- He was frustrated by his inability to get detailed information about the affair from the RCMP and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.

- The RCMP and CSIS balked at efforts by Foreign Affairs to draft a letter to the Syrian government saying Arar had been cleared of any suspicion of terrorist activity in Canada. They insisted although he wasn't a direct suspect, he was a "person of interest" because of contacts with other Arab-Canadians who were under surveillance.

- U.S. ambassador Paul Cellucci and then secretary of state Colin Powell repeatedly told Graham that unnamedCanadian police or security officials had acquiesced in Arar's deportation to Syria -- a claim eventually retracted, but only after the affair was over and Arar was free.

Arar, a dual Canadian-Syrian citizen, was arrested by U.S. authorities in September 2002 on a stop in New York as he flew home to Canada from Tunisia.

U.S. officials deported him to Syria 12 days later because they believed he had links to al-Qaida.

Copyright © The London Free Press

News | Sports | Business | Today | Opinion | Weekly Sections | Classifieds

Important Links:
Place an Ad | Subscribe | Become a Carrier | Email Directory | Customer Service
Comments | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Statement

CANOE Your Internet Network CNEWS

Places of Worship

Auto  Seller

London this Week Auto Market

Hot Jobs

Movie Listings on Jam!

Career connection


London Pennysaver

London This Week